Get 49ers news in your inbox. Sign up now for the free 49ers HQ newsletter.
SANTA CLARA — Jimmy Garoppolo and the 49ers came away encouraged as they wrapped up their on-field, offseason work with Wednesday’s minicamp session. Here are the top 10 quotes Garoppolo offered before practice:
!. On being called “James” by Richard Sherman: “I haven’t been called James since my grandpa called me James. It’s been a while but it’s all in good fun. … You’ll have to ask Adrian Colbert about that. He’ll give you a good story.”
2. On summer plans: “There’s going to be a good amount of guys here so we’ll have plenty of time to get together. We don’t get the same type of ability to use the facility as we do now but we’ll find a way to get it done. This is home now. I’ll go back to Chicago to see the family for a bit but for the most part I’ll be here.”
4. On the offseason program: “It’s been good. Ray and his group did a great job getting us in shape. We looked sharp for the most part in practice. Yesterday was a little sloppy offensively. Overall it’s been a very successful camp.”
5. On where he needs to improve: “The big part for us as a whole offensively is just finishing in the end zone. Last year we got stopped short a couple of times more than we’d like to. We’ve done a good job this OTAs and minicamp of finishing in the end zone, for the most part.”
6. On his growth in the system: “I’ve come a long way (laughs) especially from last season cramming everything in. But still have a long way to go developing that chemistry between me and the skill position, the O-line, everything.”
7. On if the 49ers have enough playmakers: “Oh yeah. Yeah. We’ve got the weapons for it. Coaches put us in a good situation and we need to come through and complete the play.”
8. On Tuesday’s cadence issues: “It sucked. It wasn’t any fun. When that goes wrong, it screws up the rest of the plays. We were trying different things yesterday and will keep working on those.
“It’s all on the quarterback. I’m the one doing the cadence. I have to make sure me and all the quarterbacks are saying it the same way, sounding similar and getting everyone on the same page. … A couple were new cadences and things we hadn’t worked before. You try new things like that.”
9. On his image: “Low profile is a good way to put it. It’s just how I’ve always been. I don’t know, going out with Staley, he brings a lot of attention to us and it’s tough to go out with him. No, it’s been fun. The Bay Area has great people here and great fans.”
10. On his NFL-career thoughts a year ago: “Oh geez, I don’t know. I can’t remember to be honest. I was just locked into …read more
Source:: The Mercury News – Sports