Erik ten Hag wants to sign a striker in January (Photo by Craig Mercer/MB Media/Getty Images)
Manchester United boss Erik ten Hag wants to fast-track the club’s plans to buy a striker after the departure of Cristiano Ronaldo.
The Red Devils announced on Tuesday that the 37-year-old was to leave the club with immediate effect.
Ronaldo gave a controversial interview to Piers Morgan last week in which he slammed the club’s facilities, accused the Glazers of not caring about the club and said he had no respect for Erik ten Hag.
The Dutchman opted to keep Ronaldo last summer, despite the striker’s declaration that he wanted to leave the club.
That was down to the fact that Ten Hag felt there were more urgent areas of the squad that needed investment, such as central defence and central midfield.
Ronaldo has left United (Picture: AFP)
Ten Hag’s plan was to keep Ronaldo until the end of the season before investing in a striker for the long-term.
However, with Ronaldo now departed, Fabrizio Romano says United are now exploring options to sign a forward in January.
Options are short, particularly in mid-season. But United have shown interest in Victor Osimhen and Ivan Toney.
But, with the Glazers now looking for investment or even a sale of the club, there could be an unwillingness to release funds.
MORE : Cristiano Ronaldo misses out on £16m after Manchester United contract terminated
MORE : Cristiano Ronaldo departure provides Manchester United with major January transfer window boost
For more stories like this, check our sport page.
Follow Metro Sport for the latest news on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
Stock Market: Suez Canal Update! Floating!
The Suicide Squad | Official IMAX® Red Band Trailer
From the horribly beautiful mind of James Gunn and filmed in IMAX. Experience